Conservation Practices

Iowa Financial Incentives Programs (IFIP)

The Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship- Division of Soil Conservation (IDALS-DSC)offers voluntary programs to eligible landowners and producers to provide financial assistance for various conservation practices. Complete an online application.  Practices built with IFIP funds are under a maintance agreement for a number of years, depending on the practice. Maintenance Agreement checklists help recipients know what is expected from them after their practice has been installed.  Also, check out Clean Water Iowa, a new site launched to help Iowans protect water quality.



The State Revolving Loan Fund is available specifically to assist and encourage landowners to address non-point source pollution of Iowa streams and lakes.

No Interest Loans are available to eligible landowners for the construction of permanent soil conservation practices.


Federal Financial Assistance

The Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) offers voluntary programs to eligible landowners and agricultural producers to provide financial and technical assistance to help manage natural resources in a sustainable manner. Through these programs the agency approves contracts to provide financial assistance to help plan and implement conservation practices that address natural resource concerns or opportunities to help save energy, improve soil, water, plant, air, animal and related resources on agricultural lands and non-industrial private forest land.


Continuous CRP

The Farm Service Agency’s (FSA) Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) is a voluntary program that helps agricultural producers use environmentally sensitive land for conservation benefits. CRP participants plant long-term, resource-conserving covers to improve the quality of water and air, control soil erosion and enhance wildlife habitat. In return, FSA provides participants with rental payments and cost-share assistance.

Financial Assistance